translation help

Robert Romanchuk rromanch at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 7 22:37:21 UTC 2010

I don't know the source of the quotation, but it seems more likely to me
that "izhe" is functioning here as the (Greek) article ho, hence "Luther the
ferocious" (cf. Konstantinos ho philosophos, "Constantine the Philosopher,"
or in a naughtier context [book 12 of the Greek Anthology], Dorikon he
philephebos, "Dora who likes the young guys"). Also, this pun on Luther's
name was fairly common in Church Slavic. Best, RR