Photo interpretation

Tony Anemone AnemoneA at NEWSCHOOL.EDU
Wed Jan 13 19:06:23 UTC 2010

Thanks to several folks for reminding me that SEELANGS doesn't accept
attachments. If you think you can help, you can find the three photos
at the following site:
http://gallery.me.com/anthonyanemone#100162.

Thanks again to all.

Tony

Here is the original message
Dear all,

A retired friend of mine is doing some genealogical research and has
some family photos that she needs some help interpreting.  Since this
is far beyond my expertise, I'm hoping that some people on the list
will be able to help.

Attached are three photos of her Jewish grandfather, Eli Pollock born
in the town of Lida (Belarus) in 1874, emigrated to the US in 1904,
according to family lore in order to escape serving in the Russo-
Japanese war.  The first one was taken, the family assumes, around
1890. The second, perhaps, 5-10 years later.

Can anyone recognize the uniforms (branch of servive, rank, etc.) in
the first two photos? (n.b., the cap in the first photo was heavily
damaged and restored on photoshop - there may have been an emblem or
ensignia)

Does the uniform in the first photo mean that Eli was in a military
(naval?) school?  could it be a gymnasium?

Were Jews allowed to enroll in military schools at the time?

The revolutionary flag in the third photo certainly makes one think of
the 1917 period but could it  possible have been taken in 1904?
(i.e., before the emigration of Eli)

Any other information or educated guesses will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Tony Anemone
Chair and Associate Provost of Foreign Languages
The New School University
64 West 11 Street, Rm 113
New York, NY 10011

212-229-5600, extension 2355