National Russian Week - the date?

Inna Caron caron.4 at BUCKEYEMAIL.OSU.EDU
Wed Jan 27 21:56:21 UTC 2010

Maslennitsa does sound like a winner. Other than the lack of fixed dates, I for one don't see any other downsides.

I would disagree that it has strict Orthodox connotation. Of all pre-Soviet holidays it was easily the most secular one. And while the official rationale was to offset the upcoming Great Lent, given the shape and color of a blin I would wager that the roots go back to the indigenous worship of Iarilo the Sun.

Agreed, not everyone celebrates it, but the same can be said about any holiday in any country in our age of global migration. It is, as several people pointed out, authentically Russian, though.

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] on behalf of Edward M Dumanis [dumanis at BUFFALO.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:59 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] National Russian Week - the date?

I want to add another downside:
Maslennitsa is appropriate only if you identify Russian with the Russian
Orthodox Church, which occupies only one of the segments (though it is a
major one there) in the religious sector of Russian culture.
I personally know many Russian families who never carried this tradition
either being related to different religious traditions or rejecting them
all together.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis <dumanis at buffalo.edu>