Elephant in the room

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sun Jul 11 18:20:43 UTC 2010

While Russian language enrollments lately have been stable or even
rising at the elementary level, I have found that among students in
general education courses at my university, the perception of the
importance of Russian language, culture, or even political influence
has dropped drastically.  I  infer that intrinsic/intellectual
curiosity remains, but for those with instrumental motivation, Russian
is off the scale. The presence of "sleeper" spy cells, in my opinion,
is not likely to change this.

When I attended the Ohio Foreign Language Association meeting this
spring, it appeared that Russian was not even on the radar screen in
materials or approaches that were being marketed. Russian does not seem
to have the sexy "otherness" that it has had for past generations. If I
judge by my students in a "Foreign Film" class I teach, the Asian film
industry has the cache, whether it be in Japanese anime or Chinese
martial arts. The language interest seems to follow. Arabic appeals to
the military and criminal justice students.

We must hope that our LOVE will  guide us...

Melissa Smith

On 7/10/10 6:20 PM, Beyer, Tom wrote:
> Funding is not likely to be forthcoming, but news about things
Russian, any
> news has traditionally increased elementary Rusian enrollments for that
> year.
>
> So plan on my work with the same resources.
>
> :-)
>

> On 7/10/10 5:25 PM, "Inna Caron" <caron.4 at BUCKEYEMAIL.OSU.EDU> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any idea as to how this situation with the Russian
spies may
> > affect Russian language programs in the U.S. universities? Common
sense
> > suggests that we should see some increase in funding, but common
sense doesn't
> > always prevail in these matters, does it?

> >   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
at:
> >                     http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor