Operotdel

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Tue Jul 13 12:44:42 UTC 2010

 I wish to thank all those who reply to my post, especially Hugh McLean and Paul Gallagher

In fact, "Operotdel" is a structure in Uzbek camps.
I always tend to forget that in a society where ihabitants are be controlled by a political police
even prisons have to get their own surveillance unit...

Therefore, in French, an appropriate equivalent would be "Sécurité", which can imply such an
element.

Regards

Philippe

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Hugh McLean
Sent: Friday 9 July 2010 01:22
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Operotdel

Vera V. Carpovich's book Solzhenitsyn's Peculiar Vocabulary (1976) does
not list 'operotdel' among various other derivatives of 'oper.' which
itself is regarded as a contraction of 'operativnyj upolnomochennyj,
nachal'nik osvedomitelej',defined as 'local secret-police officer.' She
gives 'operativnik' as a synonym of 'oper' and 'operchast' as 'local
secret police office'. She does include 'operchekotdel' as a contraction
of operativno-chekistkaja chast', with the meaning 'Operations Dept' (of
secret police).