Operotdel

Hugh McLean hmclean at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Jul 8 23:21:34 UTC 2010

Vera V. Carpovich's book Solzhenitsyn's Peculiar Vocabulary (1976) does
not list 'operotdel' among various other derivatives of 'oper.' which
itself is regarded as a contraction of 'operativnyj upolnomochennyj,
nachal'nik osvedomitelej',defined as 'local secret-police officer.' She
gives 'operativnik' as a synonym of 'oper' and 'operchast' as 'local
secret police office'. She does include 'operchekotdel' as a contraction
of operativno-chekistkaja chast', with the meaning 'Operations Dept' (of
secret police).