U of Toronto amalgamation also affects Slavic Languages, other languages/programs

Katya Hokanson hokanson at UOREGON.EDU
Mon Jul 19 19:41:58 UTC 2010

The "disestablishment" of Toronto's Comparative Literature Department
also affects the Slavic Languages department, which I believe will
also mean they can no longer admit graduate students, and many feel
that literature will essentially be taught in service to language.
The article notes:

	The other departments affected are: Italian, German, East Asian
Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, and Slavic languages.

	Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2010/07/13/nb-northrop-frye-centre-close.html#socialcomments
#ixzz0u9tcybpX

I have appended a petition from the similarly-affected East Asian
Studies program at the University of Toronto to indicate their concerns.

Katya Hokanson
University of Oregon

To:  The Dean of the Faculty of Arts & Sciences
A Strategic Planning Committee at the University of Toronto has
recently proposed an amalgamation of the East Asian, Italian, German,
Slavic, Spanish & Portuguese, and Comparative Literature Departments
into a new "School of Languages and Literatures." This merger would
effectively mean dissolution of the East Asian Studies Department by
moving our language programmes and few literature professors into the
new school while the remaining faculty members would be transferred to
other disciplines. The EAS program at U of T would cease to exist.

We, the undersigned, are strongly opposed to this proposal. We predict
it will harm both the university's reputation as a whole and the
undergraduate educational experience. As easily one of the largest EAS
departments in North America, the current enrolment in the
undergraduate EAS program is roughly the same size as the other four
departments involved in this proposal combined. Yet in the new school
the East Asian unit would have only five professors, less than one
third of the number in each of the other four departments. Not only
does this cause an imbalance amongst the school itself, but a broad
School of Languages and Literatures would simply not encourage the
number of enrolments that are currently attracted by the renowned East
Asian Studies department.

We are against this proposed departure from the EAS program's mandate
of providing a platform for students to do critical humanities
research on Asian society and culture. Amalgamating EAS into a School
of Languages and Literatures and transferring remaining courses to
other disciplines would effectively destroy opportunities for students
at the University of Toronto to do the type of humanities research on
Asia that they have been highly well-regarded for in the past. Not
only would undergraduates lose the opportunity to engage in humanities
study of Asia, but there would no longer be a graduate program that
would attract the top level of Asian studies scholarship currently at
U of T, or allow those students to receive grants from Asian
foundations.

We are also concerned for the status of literature within this school,
as it appears that literature will become primarily a tool in the
study of language. Language alone would essentially become the primary
mode of study of Asia, with all other components of study becoming
secondary. This is an antiquated method of regional study and one that
the faculty has diverged from in the past decade. It is this change
that has attracted esteemed faculty to the university, and caused an
increase in enrolment numbers, as well as earned respect from the
wider community.

The East Asian Studies department at U of T is widely recognized and
respected amongst global universities, which has allowed it to recruit
professors at the top of their field from all over the world. If U of
T no longer has an East Asian Studies department, it will be
impossible for the university to attract those kinds of professors
when in competition with other universities who still have autonomous
academic departments for Asian studies. Also, if our current
professors decide to stay at UofT despite these changes, they will be
overwhelmed by larger departments, unable to offer advanced courses in
their specialties and leaving students with far fewer courses
available to them.

For these reasons we strongly protest the dissolution of East Asian
Studies at the University of Toronto.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned