[SEELA NGS] [SEEL A NGS] мор ск ая свин ка

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 21 15:43:41 UTC 2010

I truly believe there is a need to move away from the idea of words having certain meanings only if prescribed in a dictionary.  Surely the context, ie knowing who, what why, where and when plays a bigger role. In this case, I'm sure морская свинка refers to a purpoise, not because it has been assigned that meaning by Даль, but because it was uttered/written by a 19th century native Alaskan to describe the coming of summer.  Of course words have common meanings understood by most people, but they likewise have spatial/temporal meanings which may not be officially sanctioned and recorded.  Think for example of the case of кушать.  For a long time dictionaries insisted this the formal verb 'to dine'.  However, no-one had informed my russian friends in my Soviet era общежитие where будешь кушать? referred to sharing каша from a pot - and not in an ironic way!

AMD