Russian proverbs - near English equivalents?

Valentina Soboleva soboleva at COMCAST.NET
Thu Jul 22 03:00:51 UTC 2010

Zita,

in the first proverb instead of "gore" should be "goria net" (Gen c. from gore); also, I think, in the third one, the preposition "v" should be repeated: "V kotoryj ...., v tot den' ne starish'sia."

But I cannot help with translations.

Valentina Soboleva

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zita Dabars" <ZitaD at AOL.COM>
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:01:59 AM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Russian proverbs - near English equivalents?

July 22, 2010

Dear Seelangers,

I am turning to this wonderful group for help. With colleagues I am working
on an answer key for the Kendall-Hunt Publishing Company's textook   «Mir
russkikh» to have this answer key join the «Answer Key for Mir russkih
Exercise Book» which became available last year.

We are having difficulty in answering an exercise that asks for finding
near English equivalents to four Russian proverbs. I would appreciate receiving
suggested answers. I transliterate the Russian in case the Cyrillic does
not come through.

«___ _______ _ ______, ___ _ _____ ___» (Gde lyubov i sovet, tam i gore
net)

«__ _______ _____ _______, _ _______ _________» (Ne krasna izba uglami, a