Sally Laird

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Jul 23 14:18:29 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Sally Laird has not been working on things Russian for the last seven or
eight years, but I am sure there are some of you who will know of her, or
will have met her, or will know her translations of Petrushevskaya and
Sorokin or the interviews collected in ³Voices of Russian Literature² (OUP).

The deeply sad news I have to pass on is that Sally died, of cancer, two
weeks ago.  The funeral was today.  It is very remiss of me not to have sent
this message before the funeral.  I am sorry.

Sally was, some time ago, the editor of the excellent journal INDEX ON
CENSORSHIP.  I have written a few lines about her on the INDEX website.  So
has Natasha Perova.  It would be great if other people could also write as
much or as little as feels right to them.

Here is the link:
http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2010/07/sally-laird-obituary/
<http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2010/07/sally-laird-obituary/>

The address of her husband, Mark Lefanu, and her daughter Sylvia, is
Bülowsgade 3,
8000 Århus C,
Denmark

Vsego samogo dobrogo,