gender in translation

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Jul 28 14:23:07 UTC 2010

The doublet жираф ‒ жирафа is rare and fortunate.
When I want to praise my dog I often say "какой ты умный
собак" with the fear that my kids would hear me and pick up the
neologism instead of the correct one. Even though Russia has also
masculine пёс, it has a different connotation and I cannot use it
on my rather small bichon frisé.

I think it's a good idea to create in fiction gender specific variants.

AI

On Jul 28, 2010, at 2:16 AM, Robert Orr wrote:

> http://www.litportal.ru/genre6/author3279/read/page/1/book15045.html
>

> I recently found this version of C.S. Lewis "the Last Battle"  on
> line.
> Shift, the Ape, is referred to as "обезьян", in order to
> preserve the gender
> in the original text. "обезьян", however, seems to be a very
> rare  (I
> hesitate to say "invented") form.
>
> Comments?

Alina Israeli