When ПушкинComes to Shove

Inna Caron caron.4 at BUCKEYEMAIL.OSU.EDU
Fri Jul 30 21:48:08 UTC 2010

Jud, I am sure no one wants you to feel ostracized and ganged up on.

It seems that when you enter the discussion with a statement such as "I, too, could do X if I chose to, but I choose not to for the following reasons," it is a perfectly welcome self-introduction.
It's when those reasons boil down to the assertion that those who do choose to do X are self-indulgent frauds, liable for doing disservice to the classics and misleading the reader, you can't be surprised that some will find your statement as judgmental as it appears misinformed.

Inna

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] on behalf of Judson Rosengrant [jrosengrant at EARTHLINK.NET]
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2010 3:47 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] When Пушкин Comes to Shove

Judging by the tenor of the responses so far, I seem to be arguing as a sort
of slightly presumptuous newcomer or outsider, third-person singular, on the
one side, with all right-thinking colleagues amiably gathered on the other.

But that's fine, since I feel strongly about the points I've been attempting
to make and believe them to be based on serious thought about the issues
(some of it published, by the way: my examination in SEEJ of Nabokov's
theory and practice of translation with respect to Onegin, or the discussion
of historical lexis in the preface to my edition of Lydia Ginzburg's On
Psychological Prose), just as they derive from fairly extensive experience
as a translator of a very wide variety of nineteenth- and twentieth-century
Russian literary prose (from Olesha's notebooks to my forthcoming new
edition for Penguin of the Tolstoy trilogy).

Be that as it may, I've found the responses to my remarks to be interesting,
if not always entirely cogent or convincing, at least as I regard the issues
and their implications, and I'll try to answer them all in detail over the
weekend when I'll have the leisure to do so with the care they deserve.

Best wishes,

Jud

Judson Rosengrant, PhD
PO Box 551