A Czech question: the meaning of the original Czech title of "Fireman's Ball"

Monnier, Nicole M. MonnierN at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Jun 14 19:08:49 UTC 2010

SEELANGStsy!

A colleague of mine asked the following question, but unfortunately, my Czech has become so rusty as to be unusable.

“A question: I am going to show Forman's famous "Firemen's Ball" (banned in 1967) which in the original is titled 'Hori, ma panenko". Does this mean in Czech simply "Burn, my doll", or there is an idiomatic meaning (like "пропади все пропадом", let it burn — I don't give a hoot, etc.).”

Curiously,

Nicole

Dr. Nicole Monnier
Associate Teaching Professor of Russian
Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
German & Russian Studies
428A Strickland (formerly GCB)
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211