A Czech question: the meaning of the original Czech title of "Fireman's Ball"

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Mon Jun 14 20:39:49 UTC 2010

I believe it is third-person singular, present indicative and most directly
means, in effect, "Fire!" Figuratively, it could refer to the speaker's
lust. But I hope someone with better knowledge than I will weigh in.

Cheers,
David

David Powelstock
Assoc. Prof. of Russian, East European and Comparative Literature
Undergraduate Advising Head, Russian Studies
GRALL, MS 024
Brandeis University
Waltham, MA 02454-9110

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Monnier, Nicole M.
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2010 3:09 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] A Czech question: the meaning of the original Czech
title of "Fireman's Ball"

SEELANGStsy!

A colleague of mine asked the following question, but unfortunately, my
Czech has become so rusty as to be unusable.

"A question: I am going to show Forman's famous "Firemen's Ball" (banned in
1967) which in the original is titled 'Hori, ma panenko". Does this mean in
Czech simply "Burn, my doll", or there is an idiomatic meaning (like
"пропади все пропадом", let it burn - I don't give a hoot, etc.)."

Curiously,

Nicole

Dr. Nicole Monnier
Associate Teaching Professor of Russian
Director of Undergraduate Studies (Russian)
German & Russian Studies
428A Strickland (formerly GCB)
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211