Spellchecking as part of language pedagogy

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Thu Mar 4 17:38:06 UTC 2010

I demand typed work in third year (after 240 hours of instruction). I urge
them to use spellcheckers (available in Google docs, which all our students
have). Alas, they prefer to use Word, whose $90 spellchecker download (last
time I checked) is not part of the default setup (Spanish and French
spellcheckers are). Students don't buy the add-on, so the spelling goes
unchecked. I would like them to see certain errors flagged but not
automatically corrected (spelling-rule violations, hard-soft violations,
simple common keyboard typos c - ц, ш - щ, б - в, etc.)

-Rich Robin

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Svetlana Grenier
<greniers at georgetown.edu>wrote:

> I would like to broaden this query and ask SEELANGERS how they feel about
> students submitting their essays typed in Russian--which these days almost
> automatically implies the use of spell-checker.
> Best,
> Svetlana Grenier

>>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/
>>

> --
> Svetlana S. Grenier
>
> Associate Professor