Spellchecking as part of language pedagogy

greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Sat Mar 13 22:23:33 UTC 2010

Thanks to Rich Robin for sending his thoughts on spell-checking! I am wondering why no one else responded.  I myself am conflicted about the issue: I have a student in third year who turns in picture-perfect typed essays but makes a lot of spelling and even grammar mistakes in his written (by hand) quizzes.  So is he proficient in Russian writing or not?

I wonder how the Russian Essay Contest is judged, as far as spelling goes.

Are we living in an age when nobody has to be proficient in handwriting and spelling (in any language) without the aid of a computer?

Best to all,
Svetlana Grenier