Differences between Eastern and Western Ukrainian

Grover Furr furrg_nj at FASTMAIL.FM
Wed Mar 10 02:57:18 UTC 2010

Dear fellow listmembers:

Some 20+ years ago I was struggling to read some WW2-era Ukrainian
materials, with a dictionary, etc.

It seemed to me that I could perceive differences between Eastern and
Western Ukrainian. Names of the months, for example.

Western Ukrainian tended towards Polish and away from Russian (maybe
"away from Russian" was the point?). Eastern Ukrainian seemed more
Russian -- easier to read, for me (I can read Russian well).

Now I wonder what's going on in today's Ukraine, where the Eastern /
traditionally Orthodox / closer to Russia and the Western /
traditionally Uniate / closer to Poland has become an important cultural
and political issue.

What resources are there -- books, articles, even specifically
linguistic analyses -- that study the differences between Eastern and
Western Ukrainian?

Sincerely,

Grover Furr
Montclair SU