transliteration - Ukrainian & Russian to English

Thu May 6 06:48:45 UTC 2010

Margarita Orlova wrote:

> I prefer foreigners to acquire the Northern pronunciation:) Otherwise
> they sound exaggerating like if they were the "litsa kavkazskoj
> natsional'nosti". (If you understand what i am talking about;)

I understand the bigotry that exists in Russian culture (we have our own
shameful counterparts), but I was just having some fun with a reductio
ad absurdum. The akanye was incidental; my main point was about using
"ff" to indicate final devoicing.

> I am talking about a phonemic pronunciation being more natural than
> exaggerating use of allophones when the speaker has a wrong
> implication that they are real phonemes, just because they are
> expressed with letters.

It's one thing if you're trying to teach someone to speak the language,
with all the various grammatical forms; it's another if you're teaching
a foreigner with no aspirations for more to pronounce one name correctly
in his own language. An English speaker is perfectly capable of
pronouncing final /v/, but a Russian is not, so I wouldn't teach my
American colleagues to do something the Russian cannot.

О вкусе, конечно, не спорят...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com