word question

Fri May 7 22:52:48 UTC 2010

Valentino, Russell wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I just came across the word "kochma" in a Russian language poem by a
> Central Asian author. When I couldn't find the word in any of my
> usual sources, I asked a Central Asianist colleague, who told me that
> the Uzbek word ko'chma means "itinerant" and is used in a derogatory
> way to refer to people who move from place to place, like nomads or
> gypsies.
>
> But as that's in Uzbek and this is in Russian, I'm wondering if the
> connotations are the same. Has anyone else come across this word?
>
> Thanks in advance.

FWIW, Azerbayjani has a verb көчмәк (köçmäk), where мәк/мақ (mäk/maq) is
a suffix that makes verbs (the suffix harmonizes with the frontness or
backness of the stem vowel). The abbreviated suffix мә/ма (mä/ma) forms
corresponding deverbal nouns -- көчмә (köçmä) -- similar to Russian
-ание/-ение: переселять => переселение. This looks like a good candidate
for the source of the Russian word.

Көчмәк is defined in my Azerbayjani-Russian dictionary as "кочевать,
перекочевать, переселяться, переезжать." The bare stem көч (köç) is a
noun, defined as "1) переселение, кочевье; 2) табор." In the Azerbayjani
Latin alphabet, "ç" is a voiceless palatal affricate as in Turkish,
about like Russian ч, and q is a uvular stop. The vowels ö and ä are
fronted versions of the corresponding unmarked vowels, about like German
ö and English "a" as in "hat."

Sorry, can't say what value judgments are placed on nomadic activity by
the two cultures.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com