Сочи

Mark Kingdom k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 8 13:42:08 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I was listening to two native speakers today battle it out over what's
correct.
I have my opinion, but no right to weigh in, since I'm not a native Russian
speaker.
Below are the two versions of the sentence in question. My native speaking
girlfriend
and I feel the first version is correct:

Мне нравится Сочи.

...but our friend Katya -- also a native speaker -- feels more comfortable
saying:

Мне нравятся Сочи. (Obviously due to the plural ending.)

But -- again, my English logic, here -- I feel Sochi is a CITY, and thus
"The city is pleasing to me."

How would other native speakers weigh in?

Thanks much, and Всем с праздником!

Марк