Сочи

olgaose olgaose at AOL.COM
Sat May 8 23:28:59 UTC 2010

Sochi is one of the kind  city and should be in singular, no dispute or doubts about it

Olga

In a message dated 05/08/10 09:42:16 Eastern Daylight Time, k2kingdom at GMAIL.COM writes:
Hi All,

I was listening to two native speakers today battle it out over what's
correct.
I have my opinion, but no right to weigh in, since I'm not a native Russian
speaker.
Below are the two versions of the sentence in question. My native speaking
girlfriend
and I feel the first version is correct:

Мне нравится Сочи.

...but our friend Katya -- also a native speaker -- feels more comfortable
saying:

Мне нравятся Сочи. (Obviously due to the plural ending.)

But -- again, my English logic, here -- I feel Sochi is a CITY, and thus
"The city is pleasing to me."

How would other native speakers weigh in?

Thanks much, and Всем с праздником!

Марк