Сочи

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at TC.UMN.EDU
Sun May 9 16:31:05 UTC 2010

On Sat, 8 May 2010 18:47:53 -0700
Margarita Orlova <margarita.orlova at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
> But the name never can be considered declinable, anyway. Except in
> jokes.

"The name" meaning this one?  Or "the name" meaning "a name, any name"
so that no (geographic) name can ever be declined?

> So, to be Plural and to be declinable are two different
> issues for Russian toponymy.

It's interesting how Slavic languages differ.  Czech has a number of
plural toponyms and those names all get declined. But the original Q
was about Russian, not Czech, so I'll stop at my question about
the scope of the "the."