translation question

Krystyna Steiger steiger at ROGERS.COM
Tue May 11 01:02:48 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANG members,
in the Pietsukh novella I'm working on a 16 year-old boy, Mitia, is responsible for the death of an old woman, a former neighbor in their communal apartment (a practical joke gone wrong).  In an idealistic moment after he admits his guilt, he suggests that if he is not sent to prison for his deeds, he will impose on himself something he calls законное наказание (zakonnoe nakazanie) which, he explains, will entail his volunteering for unskilled labor up north somewhere.  I have translated the term, literally, as "lawful correction" which, from what I can tell on Google, refers to corporal punishment (spanking, etc. by parents/guardians of children) which would not be deemed excessive.
Can anyone tell me if my translation is correct, or offer any suggestions?
Thanks in advance and very best regards,
Krystyna