taking poll on pronunciation

J.W. jw at KANADACHA.CA
Mon May 17 14:56:49 UTC 2010

Ottawa (Canada), Monday 17/5/10 10h45 EDT

For Russian place names that do not already have a fossilised (universally
accepted) pronunciation in English, why not take the opportunity of
promoting the correct one -- particularly in terms of translating poetry,
where the rhyming context will reinforce the proper pronunciation.  In the
case of Borodino, one could simply put in a footnote: 'Stress on last
syllable'.

This is the approach I took in translating a poem for Book 1 of Vladimir
Megré's Ringing Cedars Series (2nd ed., p. 215), where I had "Anastasia"
rhyming  with "idea".

John Woodsworth

Member, Literary Translators' Association of Canada

  http://attlc-ltac.org/bak/Woodsworth2.htm