taking poll on pronunciation

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Mon May 17 19:22:33 UTC 2010

These occasional exchanges about how non-Russians speaking non-Russian ought
to pronounce this or that Russian proper name are revealing and often
amusing. Some Russianists seem to be sticklers for saying it the way
Russians say it.

I agree that the natural impulse of English speakers speaking English (me,
for example) is to say BoroDIno, and frankly it does not offend me. I do
doubt that it's by analogy with e.g. Tarantino, or for that matter Arizona.
Phonologists can probably explain it.

What about Czechs, Poles, and Hungarians (for example)? According to
textbook descriptions, Czech and Hungarian have a rigid stress pattern on
the first syllable - hence, presumably, BOrodino. And Polish has a rigid
stress pattern on the penultimate - hence, presumably, BoroDIno. But maybe
their intellectuals and diplomats, or radio and TV announcers, break their
native stress rules in deference to the way Russians say it. I'd really like
to find out, in case someone on SEELANGS knows.

Of course there's those tricky akanie vowel gradations too, which those
languages do not share - nor, for that matter, does Ukrainian. On the other
hand, Belorussian/Belarusan not only pronounces it BaradziNO but actually
spells it Барадзiно (I hope my Unicode Cyrillic comes through). That -dz-
affrication is an additional curious feature of Belarusan.

Suppose we do teach Americans to stress the final syllable: -NO. After that,
the vowel gradations? Uh-uh. Achieve BorodiNO and quit while we're ahead.

As for using rhyme to teach BorodiNO, I can think of a couple of fanciful
poem plots, which I'll be happy to share offline with any poets out there.

"Good is better than Evil, because it's Nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)
Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator
Russian and Georgian
= = = = =