SEELANGS Digest - 19 May 2010 to 20 May 2010 (#2010-178)

Vadim Besprozvanny vbesproz at UMICH.EDU
Mon May 24 16:33:58 UTC 2010

Saying that someone >is not beholden to any "theories" of translation<
isn't a big compliment. Such thing as a "good translator" simply does not
exist (the word "genius" - in order to preserve it from hyperinflation - I
would reserve for Shakespeare, Dante, Pushkin, etc.). Translation, if it
doesn't serve as an inspiration for creating a new literary work (as in
Zhukovskii, for instance), is, by definition,  an oversimplified digest
for those who cannot/won't read/digest a text in original version and are
happy to know "what this book is about?"

With regards,
Vadim Besprozvany