SEELANGS Digest - 19 May 2010 to 20 May 2010 (#2010-178)

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Mon May 24 16:08:02 UTC 2010

Dear Stephen, my apologies: I didn't know you felt so territorial and competitive when it came to translation. I do not: just was lucky enough to work with Robert. Yes, I do believe it takes an inordinately gifted poet to adequately render Platonov's language and poetics. I have had absolutely no intention of belittling your own toils, I assure you. No reason to "grind your teeth:. Sorry if you misunderstood me.  Penny, there is no need to defend me or Robert. You and I have also worked together a lot, and you know how much I admire many translators, incl. the Pevears, as well as some of their rivals. Stephen Pearl does not, and he is not obliged to know who I am, what I do, and how much thought I give to what I say, "effusively" or not.
Stephen, incidentally, I am not Ms. Meerson but Dr. Meerson--unlike Robert Chandler who is a genius, as I do believe, but insists that he bears no academic titles.
As to you, my respect for you is unconditional. Please do not be so upset about someone else being praised "effusively" :) Nothing personal.
o.m.