Meditations on Harry Potter translations

Muireann Maguire mm504 at CAM.AC.UK
Tue May 25 09:31:40 UTC 2010

Dear all,

The mention of Harry Potter translations in Nola's post tempts me to
mention my own experience of reading Harry Potter in Russian translation
('Garri Potter i dari smerti', if I recall correctly, is the Russian title
of the last book, 'HP and the Deathly Hallows'). I found the overall
quality of the translation to be more than adequate. I was disappointed,
however, by the hit-and-miss translation of characters' names: there seemed
to be no standard policy. Some were transliterated, some were translated,
others suffered the worst of both worlds. Harry's daffy friend Luna
Lovegood re-emerged as 'Polumna Lavgud' - a forename which retained the
goofy associations of her first name, while losing the mystical ones. A
certain lack of global knowledge, on the translators' part, was also
evident. I spent some time wondering who Симус (Simus), apparently a major
character, might be, before realizing that this was an endearingly inept
transliteration of Seamus [Finnegan], one of the good guys.

I was also intrigued that 'Garri Potter i dari smerti' was translated by
three different people - I wonder how effective and amicable team
translation can be?

Best

Muireann

--