Meditations on Harry Potter translations

Natalia A.Androsova rkikafedra at nilc.spb.ru
Tue May 25 09:59:14 UTC 2010

To: Muireann Maguire
and all the SEELANGers

As to Russian translations of "Harry Potter", I absolutely agree there is
lack on proper characters' names translation! One of my students made a
research on the subject; there are 5 different translations of different
voumes of "Harry Potter", and only one of them is more or less adequate
considering names. Unfortunately, it's not the one published and widely
known. But the main results of the research show quite clearly that the
translator of "РОСМЭН" edition has no idea how to interpret "Sinister" or
"Pomona", to say nothing about "Dumbledore"...
If the article we published after is of any interest to anybody, I'd be
happy to send it to you!

Best regards,

Elena.

Elena Arkhipova,
PhD, MBA,
Vice-President
for Foreign Affairs,
Nevsky Institute of  Language and Culture
27 Bolshaya Raznochinnaya
St. Petersburg, 197110, Russia
tel./fax: +7 812 230 36 98