about translators and translation and child reading

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue May 25 16:38:23 UTC 2010

At a peril of mixing threads, I'd like to point out that some of
Russian children classics are totally unreadable in the 21st century,
particularly to a child with non-soviet mentality.

On the other hand, not only "Volshebnik Izumrudnogo goroda" is a
translation (as was mentioned on this listserv before) together with
"Zolotoj kljuchik, but Russians view Vinni-Pux (in Zaxoder
translation) as practically their own, and especially Astrid
Lindgren's "Karlson, kotoryj zhivet na kryshe" in Liliana Lungina's
translation. Russians view Karlson as their own and many Lindgren-
Lungina lines became proverbial. They also cannot forgive the Nobel
committee for not awarding Lindgren the prize.

Lungina, on the other hand, has had significant posthumous
recognition in particular due to the film "Podstrochnik" which is a
15 part story of her rather unusual life. It is on the internet and I
highly recommend it.

There were some other translated books that were a much better read
than the Russian originals.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University