Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Katerina Romanenko kgalrom at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 25 17:22:18 UTC 2010

thanks you all who shared your opinions and suggestions.  Sure,  a month in Russia would be great, as well as the summer camp with such a great program,  but not feasible at this time. My son has plenty of opportunities to speak Russian (we have Russian neighbors and he spends a lot of time with his grandparents who speak Russian only, and watch mostly Russian TV. ) So my question was mostly about reading skills, and specific materials that would help to enhance these.  I guess, I overstated his resistance to reading in Russian. I don't force him to read and don't loos my sleep over his bad grammar, all I try to do is to provide him with the learning opportunities. He is a good learner but he needs "an approach," if you know what I mean.  As a teacher I know that method is important as well as a proper material. And that what I've asked about. I've got some recommendations and will look into them.  Any other suggestions of specific authors, or resources
 would be great! Especially regarding contemporary literature for children, as I find it hard to find interesting and well written books...
I agree that Russian translation of English books is not a good idea...

Thanks again!

Katerina