Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Olga Bukhina obukhina at ACLS.ORG
Tue May 25 18:08:39 UTC 2010

What about Veniamin Kaverin's Tri skazki i escho odna?

Olga Bukhina
American Council of Learned Societies
E-mail: obukhina at acls.org

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Stuart Goldberg
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:41 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Some recent hits with my daughter, turning 9, that may be a bit outside
the realm of the obvious:

Otfrid Proisler, Krabat (his Lesnoi razboinik was a huge hit at 5-6.)
Kir Bulichev's science fiction novels (this was about a year ago)
Metel'
Lenty, kruzheva, botiki (a history of clothing and fashion from Detskii
proekt Liudmily Ulitskoi).
 From English -- Peiver, Brat Volk and Farland, Myshi i magiia.  Of
course, we try to pick things that she hasn't had exposure to if they
are translated from English.

I'd love more suggestions from everyone for reading together at this age.

Still, none of this gets at the heart of the problem -- that she can
swallow a Harry Potter book in English in a few days, but it remains a
challenge to read a paragraph in Russian.  So what do you find that is
short enough that she isn't overwhelmed, but interesting enough to
engage her and age appropriate?

The best I've found so far is Marina Moskvina, Uvelichitel'noe steklo.
(This is a series of off-beat 2-3 page vignettes, probably written for
5-6 year olds, but my daughter still finds them interesting.)

Again, suggestions welcome.

Best regards to all,
Stuart Goldberg