Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Tue May 25 20:37:24 UTC 2010

There is a bilingual version of Winnie-the-Pooh that I once ordered
through a children's book site. This was 4-5 years ago. I'll try to
find it for anyone interested.

Melissa Smith

On 5/25/10 1:22 PM, Katerina Romanenko wrote:
> thanks you all who shared your opinions and suggestions.  Sure,  a
month in Russia would be great, as well as the summer camp with such a
great program,  but not feasible at this time. My son has plenty of
opportunities to speak Russian (we have Russian neighbors and he spends
a lot of time with his grandparents who speak Russian only, and watch
mostly Russian TV. ) So my question was mostly about reading skills,
and specific materials that would help to enhance these.  I guess, I
overstated his resistance to reading in Russian. I don't force him to
read and don't loos my sleep over his bad grammar, all I try to do is
to provide him with the learning opportunities. He is a good learner
but he needs "an approach," if you know what I mean.  As a teacher I
know that method is important as well as a proper material. And that
what I've asked about. I've got some recommendations and will look into
them.  Any other suggestions of specific authors, or resources
>  would be great! Especially regarding contemporary literature for
children, as I find it hard to find interesting and well written
books...
> I agree that Russian translation of English books is not a good idea...
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Katerina

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor