Russian reading skills. teaching children.

Anna A. Eddy aeddy at WAYNE.EDU
Wed May 26 17:24:01 UTC 2010

Regarding raising bilingual children, it works best when parents/family members_consistently_use a chosen language with the child. That is speaking from research on bilingual children and SLA and personal experience. The important thing is to understand that the child will always have a preferred language for a particular domain of her life and do not fight it, but support it by having a library with books, board games, posters, DVDs, CDs, etc. in both languages. Also, establishing a peer group where the target language is spoken is very effective. There are many mainstream books on raising bilingual children that recommend similar strategies. One of them is by Carey Myles.

Reading in two or more languages and enjoying it comes with time and practice. A 9-year old child who is growing up in the US and speaking Russian with one parent at home most often has the reading ability and vocabulary (in Russian) of a 6-year old. Fairytales are actually difficult to understand since they have some archaic language and unfamiliar cultural connotations. Short stories work well (by N.Nosov, G.Oster) and children can relate to the characters. I sit down to read with my children and we decide who reads what: I read one page and they read one paragraph and so on. By the end of the book we each read a page. It was also fun to watch Russian films on DVD and then reading corresponding books or going to a puppet show about the Firebird and then reading the fairytale.  Consistency is the key. To be able to enjoy reading, the child has to read daily. Children encyclopedias about animals are great for this purpose. There are short paragraphs that are interesting and !
 not intimidating.

Anna

Anna A. Eddy
Department of Classical and Modern Languages,
Literatures, and Cultures
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI
USA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nola" <oothappam at EARTHLINK.NET>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 3:42:29 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian reading skills. teaching children.

I read in a parenting book about 20 years ago that if you want a child to be bilingual, the best way is to have the parents or other family members assigned languages and stick to them. Like: mother speaks Russian always with the child, Father speaks English always with the child. It said that if you stay consistent, the child will learn both languages well. But if you slack off..it ends up that the child will not become fluent.I do no t remember which book this was in and so can't give a reference, unfortunately.
Nola
Nola