SEELANGS Digest - 19-20 May 2010 (#2010-185)

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed May 26 22:33:22 UTC 2010

Yes, the "who refers to the "not everyone", i.e., to those Pushkin scholars (in that case) who never use translations or not interested in them. It would be ungrammatical for it to refer to--what? "Your"? "Work"? By those possibly not knowing about Robert's expertise in Pushkin, I meant Dolinin, Bethea, and Davydov. They do not know that, in order to render things adequately, a good translator, like Robert, has to routinely delve into the type of research they themselves do by choice, and selectively too--based on the topic o their current interest, not on their need to thoroughly and painstakingly address each line in order to proceed to the next.

I just do not understand how anyone can be ready to gnash (or was it "grind"?) their teeth at the fact that I admire Robert's work and am ready to admit it. Well, I have a theory, but it is not for this forum.  I sincerely apologize to my colleagues for provoking such a strong and hostile reaction.
o.m.