SEELANGS Digest - 19-20 May 2010 (#2010-185)

David Powelstock powelstock at BRANDEIS.EDU
Wed May 26 22:13:41 UTC 2010

Although loathe to extend this thread any further than necessary, I believe
this kerfuffle can be traced to a simple misunderstanding of Olga's original
message. Here's what Olga wrote:

"Everyone familiar with your work, Robert, knows what an ear you have as a
poet--not merely as a translator--or rather, what your brilliant
translations owe to your poetic ear. But not everyone is aware of your
greatness, who works with the originals without resorting to translations or
studying translators' considerations."

It took me a moment to realize that the antecedent of the "who" of the last
clause is not Robert, but others, who might not be aware of the quality of
Robert's translation work because they work only with the Russian originals
and never with English translations. I'm quite sure that Olga was not
lauding Robert simply because he translates *from the original* (as opposed
to translating from what, one wonders?). That would indeed be ridiculous.

I hope that clears things up.

Best wishes,
David Powelstock