Karamzin's Letters of a Russian Traveler

Alexei Kutuzov alexei_kutuzov at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 15 02:42:37 UTC 2010

There's a passage in Karamzin's Letters of a Russian
Dear Colleagues,

There's a passage in Karamzin's Letters of a Russian Traveler that has been
giving me some problems.  The passage takes place shortly after the traveler has
received news of the French Revolution (under the entry for July 29) and is
speaking to a "young doctor."  The passage reads as follows:  "Испорченный
желудок," сказал он, бывает источником не только всех болезней, но и всех
пороков, всех дурных навыков, всех злых дел."  Can anyone on the list confirm
the medical accuracy of this assertion?  That is to say, does an upset stomach
really have substantial influence on one's moral qualities?  I'm not clear if
the history of medicine bears this out, but I'd like to have confirmation before
proceeding with an interpretation of the work.  Many thanks in advance for any
leads.

With best wishes to the list,

Alexei Kutuzov
Independent Scholar