On the status or Russian [SEELANGS}

Jane Knox-Voina jknox at BOWDOIN.EDU
Thu Nov 18 01:46:21 UTC 2010

Vladimir Voina writes,

I wouldn't overestimate these cases.

1) There are not many of them while open chauvinism in Latvia are
condemned, punished, people are expelled from the ruling party, Latvian
President beggs excuses for such cases etc. Putin would never beg excuse
even for killing of nationals: Can you compare that? Russian chauvinism
is 10,000 times stronger but the world is silent about it.

2) If real discrimination would exist, Russian speakers (they constitute
about a half of Latvian population) would leave Latvia, return to Russia
or migrate to EU countries with their free visas. But they would
never do that, because living in Latvia is much preferable for them:
They enjoy much higher living standard, higher pensions and social
prestige than Russians living at home, they are free to travel anywhere
and find jobs anywhere on earth, they get two pensions instead of
one and what not... Unlike Russians, they already live in Utopia!

3) As some of them ignore the necessity to study and speak local
language AT LEAST ON ELEMENTARY  LEVEL, they risk of being mistreated by
doctors, lawyers, waiters, in colleges, public offices etc. etc. Is it
strange? I meet such attitudes to English speakers in France, so what?
It may be very unpleasant, but it's life! And remember all former
sufferings, genocide etc. of Latvian people while in Russia: Their
overreaction now is not without rneason. I don't encourage extremism but
I understand this trend. But I remember too well how Marina, Vita, Sasha
and me were not treated in a Boston restaurant  because we were speaking
Russian AMONG OURSELVES. What wrong had we done to those bastards who
refused to serve us?

4) When a Latvian doctor says IN CASE OF SHORTAGES he would supply his
own folks, Latvians, with deficit drugs rather thangive them to
 Russians I recollect how ALL doctors in the USSR were ordered to write
prescriptions for efficient, deficit foreign drugs only for special
patients, Communists and their family members, through regional party
bureau network, and those doctors who disobeyed this order and were
trying to help poor rank-and-file citizens were expelled from the Party,
disqualified, lost their jobs in health care system. Medical
discrimination is always disgusting, but how would you comment on the
majority of Americam doctors refusing to treat patients not covered by
some special insurance? Is it less disgusting when in a situation of
catasrophy and shortages maybe people of your kin are saved by drugs
before those arrogant foreigners who despise your people,
country, language, culture, tradition, way of life, as some Russians
openly do?

5) Compared to chauvinism in Russian or anti-semitism, especially in
Arab and Moslem countries, sporadic anti-Russian declarations in Latvia
are just insignificant!

    Vladimir Voina.

Russian American journalist