English teaching position in Cheliabinsk

mcfinke mcfinke at UIUC.EDU
Fri Nov 19 19:31:53 UTC 2010

I have been asked to distribute the following announcement by an
Illinois alum, Mr. Craig Sutter (contact info below).  I have no
firsthand knowledge of the people or businesses involved.

--Mike
________________________
________________________

To anyone interested in tutoring English in Russia.

I received a call from a friend in Chelyabinsk, Russia who is working
for a travel agency that has approximately 100 college age students
planning to come to the USA this summer on the J-1 visa program.  I
actually met my friend, Lena, when she was here in 2008 on the same
program.  She is in her final year of studies at university.

The point of this notice is: The travel agency is looking for a
native English speaker to assist in the training of these students in
preparation for their experience.  They would like the person to come
in December, if possible. They should be able to stay for 2 months or
more.

I have listed details as I have got them below.  (I sent Lena a
series of questions.)

1) Is this person going to work with a language teacher? Or will he/
she be doing all the teaching by himself?
             Yes, English teacher from Russia will conduct courses.
Native speaker doesn't need to teach students English. He/she needs
to speak with students, telling about USA...

2) What is the current level of English of the Russian students?
             There are different levels of English: from pre-
intermediate to upper-intermediate. These courses will prepare
students to live in America.

3) Does the potential tutor need to be professional teacher?
             He (or she) doesn’t need to be a teacher. It is not so
important.

4) Where would they live in Chelyabinsk?
             He will live in flat in the centre of Chelyabinsk. Our
Company will rent flat for him.

5) Who would pay for the teacher's transportation?
             About transportation: we will pay for taxi, buses in
Chelyabinsk. English teacher should to buy air tickets.  [Please see
note below]  Lena also said that the travel agency will manage the
visa application process.

6) How many students want to learn English?
             Now is about 100 students would like to go to these
courses. It is about 3-4 groups. 1 group has 2 lessons per week.

7) When are the Russian students coming to America?
             Russian students will go to America in the middle of May-
June and can live till October. They will work in Hotels and
restaurants, like me and Anya. It is J1 program.

8) What happens if you can not find an English speaker / teacher at
this time?
             We need this teacher! if we can’t find him, we will
search in Internet… in worst case, our students will learn English
only with Russian teacher.

Pegas-tour will pay some salary (about 600-700$ per month. It is very
good salary in Russia). And we will organize excursions, leisure.
We had English teacher from America last year, but now he is busy and
can’t go this year.

Lena has said, anyone interested can email her: e-yakovleva at bk.ru

The company is called Pagas-tour.  Website:            http://
www.pegastour.ru/ (in Russian)
             If you Google 'pegas tour'  this link comes up which can
be translated satisfactorily by
             Goolgle                        «Пегас-Тур» —
передвижение по планете

Finally, if you have reason to do so, you may also contact me:
csutter at illinoisalumni.org.  As an aid to Lena, I am willing to
discuss subsidizing the cost of the flights with you.   Thanks for
considering this.
Regards, Craig Sutter