celebrating books and characters [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

REEI reei at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Nov 29 13:14:37 UTC 2010

If the scope of your project extends beyond Russia and Russian literature, the following (from Wikipedia entry on Bloomsday at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloomsday) might be of interest:

Bloomsday has also been celebrated since 1994 in the Hungarian town of Szombathely, the fictional birthplace of Leopold Bloom's father, Virág Rudolf, an emigrant Hungarian Jew. The event is usually centered around the Iseum, the remnants of an Isis temple from Roman times, and the Blum-mansion, commemorated to Joyce since 1997, at 40–41 Fő street, which used to be the property of an actual Jewish family called Blum. Hungarian author László Najmányi in his 2007 novel, The Mystery of the Blum-mansion (A Blum-ház rejtélye) describes the results of his research on the connection between Joyce and the Blum family.

Over the door of the house in question is (or was, at least, as recently as 2004) a plaque that details the putative connection with the novel.

Mark Trotter
Russian and East European Institute
Indiana University
martrott at indiana.edu

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] on behalf of Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU [Subhash.Jaireth at GA.GOV.AU]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:01 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] celebrating books and characters [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Hi,

In Moscow, in the house where Mikhail Bulgakov lived, there is a museum, not so much to honour the writer but the book and it's characters. Similarly in Yalta there is a sculptural composition called Lady with a lapdog (dedicated to the two characters of Chekhov's well-know story). I working on a book about such things in which not the author but fictional characters become part of the city space. I'll be grateful if someone can lead me to similar stories. The characters need not be from fictional narratives only. I would love to know if characters from a novel/film/play/tv serial have found a monument dedicated to them.

Thanks

Subhash