den' rozhdenija

Slava Paperno sp27 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Oct 7 02:05:58 UTC 2010

This is nothing new. When I was a kid several decades ago, I had classmates
who said all sorts of ungrammatical things, as people will do in any culture.
Моё день-рожденье was one of them. Одевать пальто was another. One
played with whoever happened to live in one's neighborhood. This doesn't
mean their Russian was just as good as mine. Mine was tons better. Одевать
пальто has become the norm, but день-рожденье has not, says I. My father
grilled me never to say более-менее, and now that's the norm, too. Some
simple folks think it's OK to say "Professor Emerita," donchey?

Slava