FW: Russian Guitar Festival, October 14-17, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids

Golz, Sabine I sabine-golz at UIOWA.EDU
Fri Oct 8 20:01:32 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGS list members --

I hope some of you may find the information below interesting!

Below, please find the program for the 5th annual Russian Guitar Festival in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids. The festival is part of our effort to revive the Russian 7-string guitar tradition, which is deeply rooted in Russian culture. References can be found in Pushkin's poems, Tolstoy's novels, and you will see one in just about every Soviet film ever made.  Our Iowa festival is the only annual event solely dedicated to the семиструнная гитара!

You can find more information about our non-profit organization at www.iarmac.org.

If you would like more information, please write directly to the Artistic Director, Oleg Timofeyev (otimofeyev at gmail.com).

Sincerely,
Sabine Gölz

From: Sabine at iarmac.org [Sabine at iarmac.org]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2010 2:45 PM
To: otimofeyev at gmail.com
Subject: Russian Guitar Festival, October 14-17, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids

Dear Friends of the Russian Guitar!

In late May or early June this year, you may have looked around and wondered what happened to our annual Russian Guitar Festival, which usually takes place at that time. The answer is: it was moved to the fall, because in May and June, our Artistic Director, Oleg Timofeyev, was still in Ukraine on his recent Fulbright grant.

But now Oleg is back, and this year’s RUSSIAN GUITAR FESTIVAL will take place NEXT WEEK, THURSDAY, OCT. 14 – SUNDAY, OCT. 17. As every year, we make an effort to represent some of the many styles and faces of the Russian guitar:  as a classical instrument in contemporary and early music, as a folk instrument, and as an instrument to accompany singing.  We hope you'll join us for another series of high-quality concerts of great music you won’t easily hear anywhere else!

Please see below for the concert schedule. Please spread the word, forward this message to your friends and anyone who will be interested!  We look forward to seeing you there!

Sabine I. Gölz
Executive Director
International Academy of Russian Music, Arts and Culture

IARGUS 2010
5th Annual Russian Guitar Festival

October 14 – 17, 2010, Iowa City and Cedar Rapids

Concert Schedule

 Thursday, October 14: IOWA CITY
7:00 p.m. OLD AND NEW JEWISH MUSIC
The Timofeyev Ensemble (Iowa City), Duo Controverso (Chicago), Vadim Kolpakov, John Schneiderman
Hillel House, Iowa City, 122 East Market Street, Iowa City

As every year, we will again bring you a concert of Jewish music, a favorite with our audiences. This year, the Timofeyev Ensemble (NataliaTimofeeva and Oleg Timofeyev, Iowa City) will be joined by the celebrated Chicago-based Duo Controverso (Kurt Bjorling, clarinet, Annette Bjorling, harp), who are of the top klezmer musicians in this country. The concert will also feature Vadim Kolpakov, virtuoso in the style of Russian Gypsy guitar, who has many fans in Iowa City, and John Schneiderman on the bass guitar.

Friday, October 15:  IOWA CITY
7:00 p.m.  CHAMBER MUSIC WITH RUSSIAN GUITARS
  Jeffrey Cohan, (Eight-Keyed Flute), Christine Rutledge (Viola), John Schneiderman (Russian Seven-String Guitar), Kristin Thelander (Natural Horn), Oleg Timofeyev (Russian Seven-String Guitar)
Congregational Church, 30 North Clinton Street, Iowa City

This concert is designed to put the Russian guitar in the context of the 19th-century chamber music. It will present a variety of ensembles ranging from two Russian guitars (a sonata by Lvov from ca. 1800), a trio with flute and natural horn, to compositions with guitar, flute, and viola. In this concert, Oleg Timofeyev and John Schneiderman will be joined by two distinguished faculty members at the University of Iowa School of Music, Christine Rutledge and Kristin Thelander, and by world-famous Seattle-based historical flutist Jeffrey Cohan.

Saturday, October 16: CEDAR RAPIDS
2:30 p.m. THE SPIRIT OF THE RUSSIAN GUITAR
The Czar’s Guitars, the Russian Guitar Quartet, Jeffrey Cohan, Vadim Kolpakov
Cedar Valley Bible Church, 3636 Cottage Grove Avenue SE, Cedar Rapids

6:15 p.m. RECEPTION at the Unity Center, Cedar Rapids
7:30 p.m. KALEIDOSCOPE OF 7-STRING GUITAR MUSIC
The Czar’s Guitars, The Russian Guitar Quartet, Jeffrey Cohan, Vadim Kolpakov
**Admission reception & concert: Adults $17, Students & Seniors $15
**Admission concert only: Adults $12, Students and seniors $10
Unity Center, 3791 Blairs Ferry Road NE,
Cedar Rapids

The two concerts in Cedar Rapids will present different selections of Russian Guitar Music. As a special treat, they will bring the inaugural performance of the newly formed RUSSIAN GUITAR QUARTET! The idea of a quartet of Russian seven-string guitars of different sizes is not new:  we know that such quartets existed in the 19th and early 20th century. However, no music for them survives. The idea to revive this unique and versatile type of guitar ensemble started in 2007. This year, in a new formation of players, we are proud to present a program of the best Russian classics (Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Cui) in unique arrangements for four Russian guitars. The Russian Guitar Quartet consists of Oleg Timofeyev (Iowa City), John Schneiderman (Irvine, CA), Dan Caraway (Dubuque, IA), and Hideki Yamaya (Portland, OR).

Sunday, October 17: IOWA CITY
3:00 p.m. BAROQUE MUSIC AND THE ORIGINS OF THE RUSSIAN GUITAR
          Jeffrey Cohan (Baroque flute), John Schneiderman (lute, Baroque guitar, Russian 7-string guitar), Oleg Timofeyev (viola da gamba, Russian 7-string guitar), Hideki Yamaya (classical mandolin, theorbo)
Congregational Church, 30 North Clinton Street, Iowa City

The Russian guitar was born at a moment in music history when the sound of the lute or Baroque guitar was not yet forgotten.  In this concert we will place the central instrument of our festival in the historic context from which it emerged.  We are fortunate to have a great selection of plucked instrument players. In addition, this concert will also feature the Baroque flute virtuoso Jeffrey Cohan.

7:00 p.m.  GALA CONCERT.
The Czar’s Guitars, Russian Guitar Quartet, and Jeffrey Cohan, and others.
Congregational Church, 30 North Clinton Street, Iowa City

A favorite with our audiences, the concluding gala concert features selections and highlights from the whole festival program. In addition, we will be joined by the Crescendo children’s choir.

Admission:
Unless noted otherwise, admission is
$12 for adults, $10 for students and seniors.