НА:Study Russian outside Russia

Kathryn Cassidy KLC523 at BHAM.AC.UK
Mon Oct 18 12:56:57 UTC 2010

Dear Otto,

L'viv is definitely not an option for learning Russian, as it is a Ukrainian-speaking city. If you do want to suggest Ukraine as an alternative, I would recommend Odesa.

Kathryn Cassidy
Centre for Russian and East European Studies
University of Birmingham

Від: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] від імені Boele, O.F. [O.F.Boele at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL]
Надіслано: 18 жовтня 2010 р. 14:58
Кому: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Тема: [SEELANGS] Study Russian outside Russia

Dear Seelangers,

I have just advised a Chinese-Dutch student of ours not to go on our
study-abroad program in St. Petersburg because of the high level of
racial violence in Russia and his own medical history (he suffers from
haemophilia). Can anyone suggest a good alternative? Is Minsk safe?
Would L'viv be an option? Or have I been too rash in advising this
student against Russia?

Cheers!

Otto Boele
University of Leiden