501 Russian Verbs

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Thu Sep 2 12:15:23 UTC 2010

Really and truly, what you do to verbs is conjugate them (put them into different persons and tenses), and what you do to nouns and adjectives is decline them (put them into different cases and, if they're adjectives, into different genders).
English verbs have conjugations, French verbs have conjugations, and Russian verbs have conjugations.
English nouns have very little in the way of declension (just: child, child's, children, children's), French nouns have nothing whatever in the way of declension, but Russian nouns have declension.
So "501 Russian Verbs" is not leading you astray.
--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall 220, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Stephanie Briggs [sdsures at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 8:11 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] 501 Russian Verbs

Dear SEELANGers,

I've had this book for years, and I've found it invaluable. But something's
been bugging me. On the cover and spine, the subtitle says "fully
conjugated". I was under the impression that Russian verbs are declined, not
conjugated, and that declension differs somewhat from conjugation. ie French
is conjugated, and Russian is declined (declinated?).

Thoughts?

Spasibo!

Stephanie

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
THIRD SALE: 06/08/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/