Another translation question

J F Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Sep 7 18:28:32 UTC 2010

At 12:38 AM 9/7/2010, you wrote:
>Right, that's a committee (?) for quartering of the military.
>You can see it in Alexander Weltman's novel (1846), for example:
>
>    - ðÏÒÕÞÉË äÍÉÔÒÉÃËÉÊ; ×ÏÔ ÎÅ ÄÏÐÒÏÛÕÓØ, ÇÄÅ Ë×ÁÒÔÉÒÎÁÑ ËÏÍÉÓÓÉÑ:
>ÚÁÇÏÔÏ×ÉÔØ ÎÁÄÏ Ë×ÁÒÔÉÒÕ ÅÇÏ ÂÌÁÇÏÒÏÄÉÀ.
>
>You can check it for a wider context.
>Elena Ostrovskaya
Alas, my Eudora requires transliteration, but this is very interesting.
In the town of Kovno, 1860. this committee was headed by the "Politsiimeister",
and had 3 deputies:  "ot dvoryan", "ot meshchan",
and "ot evreev".  There was also a
secretary/recorder.  The last four were named
individuals.   There were 8 communities in the
gubernia with more or less the same representation. Quotas!
Jules Levin