AW: [SEELANGS] AW: [SEELANGS] Coredemptrix

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Sep 8 12:11:27 UTC 2010

Dear Dan, Re: "I will not comment on the theological assertions which have been made here. "
I usually do not make theological assertions to unwelcoming audiences. The occasion this time was that these assertions were made TO me about MY  beliefs. No Orthodox Christian (or an RC one) believes Mary is a deity, not in their right mind. Comments on others' beliefs are something atheists nowadays enjoy making but I am not sure it is parliamentary or plain decent, even purely intellectually. Of what I, OLGA, believe and confess, say, in the Nicene Creed and in my prayers, I probably know more than you do, no?  Wouldn't it be logical to assume this as true about any "I"?  :)
Incidentally, this point makes me doubt that Theology is a decent occupation for atheists, although I know how unfashionable and unprofessional my opinion sounds here. I just think that telling the world what others believe and confess is always presumptuous--in matters of faith as well as in other matters. It is like confessing others' sins, or, in your terms, like going to a shrink in a capacity other than yourself, talking about another's drives, dreams, fantasies, inhibitions, etc., instead of your own. "O, Doc., I don't have this erotic fantasy of sleeping with my mother--I am merely speaking from the point of view of a guy who believes in psychoanalysis!" This sounds silly outside of religious context. It is even sillier inside, believe me--I do have something at stake there! Distance is not always the best way to understand things--not in the cases when you want to understand the other's PERSPECTIVE, rather than merely this other, and his or her mentality, as a mere o!
 bj!
ect of YOUR observation. Not all religious beliefs are unconscious, at least none of those that count for the believer.
Sorry for the tone--just trying to clarify what some things you are discussing may mean outside your purview--for example, in the eyes of those who care about those things.
o.m.