Coredemptrix

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Thu Sep 9 02:27:31 UTC 2010

Re: Vitaly Cherednichenko's questions, if these were questions indeed:

1) When Professor Olga Meerson informs the list that: "what I, OLGA, believe and confess, say, in the Nicene Creed and in my prayers, I probably know more than you do, no..." --> does she claims the "her" (i.e. "Olga's") personal views and beliefs are to be observed as *the
standard* and the most representative ones for the entire Orthodox Christianity? And it is up to "I Olga" to decide upon what is right and what is wrong? I do not see an easy way to understand why Olga Meerson seems to position herself as "the" Source on what Orthodox Christians think and feel? Don't we need to consult let's say, some
Levada Centr anymore? Let us, then blindly subscribe to Olga's words and this will be the right to do.
1-a) Can we relate the somewhat surprising pathos of Olga Meerson's emotional address to Rolf Fieguth with the latter's finest explanation of "coredemptrix" as "soiskupitel'nica", a Russian equivalent term that was omitted in the previous answers?

Olga Meerson:
No to all of the above. No pathos, no representing every Orthodox Christian, no imposition of my authority on others, and, above all, no reflection--good or bad--on the work of the Levada Centre. No to Wikipedia as being "omnipotent" (did you mean "omniscient", Vitaly? No to that as well). No to soiskupitel'nitsa as a term either. Soiskupitel'nitsa is not itself a term but an attempt to have a semantically valid, if artificial, translation of one. But even Coredemptrix itself is hardly an established term (the Trident, for example, does not recognize any such thing). Vitaly, you have entirely missed the point, at least the one I was trying to make (which Rolph, by the way, did not: his response to me was fine and thoughtful; thank you, Rolph). The realm of discussion was entirely different. I am not positing myself as the, or even a, standard or the sole mouthpiece for what an Orthodox Christian believes--although my authority has counted for something for the past thirty ye!
 ar!
s, given my biography,  position, expertise, interests, both academic and ecclesiastic, and experience, of which things you, Vitaly, neither know much nor care to know or respect. The only thing I meant was that, just like ANY OTHER PERSON, I would be the most logical person to listen to when reacting to others telling ME, or even lecturing me on, what I and my confederates allegedly DO believe. Just as any other Orthodox Christian would be more logical to consult on his or her beliefs than not to consult them, merely surmising what they believe. Just as any person deserves to have a say when THEIR stance or opinion, on any matter, is being discussed. In my case, this is not merely an opinion but, yes, some expertise in the matter.
The difference between max Mueller and Mircea Eliade, in my opinion (this is indeed a private opinion), is much greater than that between either and the official line of Moscow Patriarchate. At any rate, I represent none of these three. Even as an Orthodox Christian, I do not belong to the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, neither would I ever aspire or care to become their spokesperson. Not a single hit in any of your attempts to shoot me, Vitaly. Eliade or no Eliade, the Theotokos is not a deity for those who venerate Her.
Dear child (of God, not of Eliade), do your homework before entering a discussion like this--to avoid being had for breakfast by bitches like myself.