Coredemptrix

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at COE.INT
Thu Sep 9 06:52:29 UTC 2010

It seems the whole discussion is drifting away from
the purpose of this list, which is "Slavic & East
European Languages and Literatures" (curiously enough not
"cultures").

Being a "simple" (and not standard) (Roman) Catholic French
layman, I would rather be shocked but those posts which
assimilate Mary to a deity, if there had not been so much
logorrhea said on religions by people who do not care about
seriously studying them.

Those list members who are interested in such subjects
would be best advised to read such works as Michel Onfray's
'In Defence of Atheism: The Case Against Christianity,
Judaism and Islam', an English translation of his "traite
d'atheologie", issued in 2005, or, closer to the list
purpose, Soviet atheist works.

All approaches (historic, psycho-analytic, litterary,
philosophical, exegetic etc.) can be fruitful to make
better undestand why the "Opium for the people" is still
very much alive at the beginning of the 21st Century.

I would very much like an earnest discussion on those
currents which revive(d) "official" religions, under the
influence of such men or women as Alexander Men, Maria
Skobtsova (http://zarubezhje.narod.ru/mp/m_019.htm), Mary
Ward, Francis of Assisi, Ignacius of Loyola, Dietrich
Bonhoeffer, Albert Schweitzer, Roger of Taize, Jean
Vanier etc.

Again, the discussion on subjects such as whether
Christmas is just a Christian "reprocessing" or adaptation
of the Winter solstice has not much to do with the purpose
of this list.

On the contrary, I would welcome a discussion on influences
of Pagan practices in today's Russian such as those linked
with 'Mother Earth' or the idea of paradise for Russian
people.

Regards

Philippe Frison
(Strasbourg, France)