Coredemptrix

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Sep 9 11:32:32 UTC 2010

  Ralph hits the nail on the head and I agree with him absolutely. The
phrase objected to in Daniel's message was "Mary is a very significant
and powerful deity for Orthodox believers." This is a categorical
statement and is factually untrue. If he had said "In Orthodox belief
the reverence accorded to Mary is tantamount to the worship of a deity"
this would have been a provocative statement of his own polemic attitude
to Christianity but at least it would have been one with which it is
possible to agreed or disagree in an academic argument, since it would
not have claimed as a fact that Mary is worshipped by the Orthodox as a
"deity". Daniel, given his background, must surely know this and should
re-phrase his tendentious text.

With regard to the original word which gave rise to this correspondence,
"coredemptrix", it is a descriptive appellation which has not yet been
subjected to the Western scholastic passion for definition, which the
Orthodox tend to resist, and is not an article of faith for Catholics,
though many would like it to be. Personally I hope it will remain as no
more than one of the many poetic appellations of Mary in the litanies
(who would want to define "Star of the Sea"?) and will never be
dogmatically defined because although the underlying belief is not new
or startling, the hopelessly neo-Latin term itself gives rise to both
honest misunderstanding and deliberate misrepresentation.

For the probably small and bemused number of SEELANGers who have
followed this thread, there is a sober history of "co-redemptrix" in the
entry in Wikipedia, albeit from a largely Catholic viewpoint.

Will