Thanks - and another skazka question

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Sep 11 23:24:43 UTC 2010

  Robert,
Bliny are a traditional part of the funeral feast, and a funeral feast
for family and friends is considered to be charitable giving; giving
Shrovetide pancakes is also милостыню давать. The remains of the funeral
feast are supposed to be given to the poor and needy. Without knowing
the whole context, the bliny seem to be for her mother's funeral feast,
so I would guess that your second reading makes better sense, though how
to convey all this in your translation for an audience unaware of
Russian customs is problematic. Roughly perhaps: " Here, take it. Give
it for the wake. Here's the basket - it's full. But mind you don't eat
any." Emphasizing the fullness of the basket, the religious/charitable
nature of the contents, and the warning not to eat, would all fit the
need to conceal the sister (large basket, small sister presumably -
quite possible in a folk tale). Native speakers please correct if I am
wrong.
Bliny are generally a symbol of death in dreams and podbliudnye pesni.
Will